Saturday, April 08, 2006

sea monkeys

I went to JB with my family yesterday and like all little kiddies, I got excited with the prospect of going to Toys 'R Us. I tell you, never in my life have I got so excited and nostalgic about all these toys in my life. I see all these little Batman figurines and they reminded me of the one my mom bought me years ago(it's in my room, still). That aside, I also a kickass Darth Vader mask that one can wear and change ones voice to that of Mr. Darth "I-can-kick-your-butt-faster-than-you-can-say-'Yoda'" Vader. It was so awesome. All that for RM189.00. Hmm...

I also saw a couple of Star Wars die-cast metal action figures that are poseable and comes with a display case. Guess what? Mr. Darth "I-can-still-kick-your-butt-faster-than-you-can-say-whatever-you-want-to-say" Vader got a display case of his own too. And it's going off the shelves really fast. All that for RM89.00. Double hmm...

I took my brother along for him to bask in the joy and wonder of toys all around him(yes, he wants EVERYTHING... SO DO I!). Then we came to this section that sells Sea-Monkeys. They looked super-cute(no, you did NOT just hear that from me) and they come in all sorts of different 'aquariums'. From the simplest(and cheapest) Ocean Zoo to Deep Sea Pirate Ship to Sea Monkeys in Mars. Really really awesome. Since I'm with a kid, all things awesome such as this would defiinitely excite a kid(not to mention another big kid too). My brother bugged me for quite a while saying he really really really wanted it but my mom won't let saying it's too expensive... they die fast... yadda... yadda.. yadda.

Like all obedient children, Yi Wan and I went and bought it anyway. :D Turns out that Sea Monkeys are not quite that easy to grow. Maybe my little science brain tells me that I HAVE to take of these little buggers with all the science theories in mind(temperature, density, gravity, plasma cannon, rocket fuel, nuclear reactor...) and they looked tedious and boring. So, I went on and tried to look at things through the eyes of a six-year-old.

Today's the first day and as the days go by I will document them here. Anyway, for the first day, all we have to do is to clean the aquarium and add the water purifier to prepare the medium for the little buggers to hatch.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The package.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The contents of the package. As you can see... this thing even comes with MANUALS(note the 'S'). According to the manual, this thing is guaranteed to live up to 2 years if taken care of properly. Well, it better be considering how much this thing costs!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Packet 1 is the Water Purifier(you'll see it in detail later. Packet 2 contains eggs whereas packet 3 contains food for the little buggers(I refuse to call them monkeys).

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
First, fill the water till it touches the tip of the highest magnifier.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Use a scissors to cut the packet open since it's sealed air-tigh. Ripping it will just spill everything everywhere and we don't want mess, right? These things look like salt to me. They probably are. What salt, I don't know.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Note to self: Do not drink the water from the aquarium from now on.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Stir for as long as it takes until it dissolves completely in the water. Then leave it aside somewhere facing the North window(no shit, that's what the manual says) for 24 hours.

Till tomorrow after church, folks!

No comments: