Friday, May 12, 2006

doing the right thing

Just recently I had the opportunity to go out for supper with a couple of guys and we talked about many things and one of the most important thing that we talked about is: doing the RIGHT thing.

I think this whole idea of 'doing the right thing' is very subjective. Something that is right for me doesn't necessarily be right for you. For example, a person might have to eat 3 tons of chocolate a day to combat some kind of strange and unknown disease and that would be the 'right thing to do' for him/her whereas for diabetic patient, that would be a death wish.

With that out of the way, I realised that all of us struggle to do the right thing everyday. Right now, at this period of my life, I must start to put things in their place by putting my priorities RIGHT as in the really CORRECT order of priorities instead of the biased one. Sounds confusing? It is... for me, at least.

Let's talk about the biased one first. I know everyone should put God first in their life and I agree with that whole-heartedly. But the thing that I'm having gripes with is this: many people misunderstood the meaning of putting God first in their life. Here is what putting God first is NOT:

1. Going forward and commit oneself to serving and doing stuff in YF eventhough one knows that one couldn't possibly handle it.
2. Pushing on and do things in YF 'for God' eventhough one's parents have said NO MORE.
3. Using YF as a reason to force other priorities off the list... for e.g. Studies, friends, family, etc...

Here is what putting God first should be like:

1. Studying His Word instead of goofing off doing something else when the opportunity arises.
2. Attending YF and Church instead of going off to some places that one don't really HAVE to go.

I think it's true that we humans are creatures who yearns for approval of others. Because of that, we want to do things that OTHERS thing is right and because of that, we don't do things that are truly right for us.

With that I shall end this post and I urge all of you to rethink every single decisions that you have made and you're going to make. Please think carefully if what you are doing or what you will be doing is right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurray! Doing the right thing- ultimate definition- 'right' in God's eyes.

The trick is, how does God look at stuff?

Want to know how your dad defines right and wrong?

1. Get scolded by him when you DO do something wrong, like go up for altar call and commit yourself to serve in YF when you can't handle it

2. Hear him rant abt the need to ____ instead of ______ (whatever, whichever).

3. Get him to write a book abt his core beliefs and then extract, extrapolate and infer anything that is not obvious. Like, "I am a man that believes in working the land, tilling the soil and planting veges." Infer: "Planting kangkung is the best right thing to do in life."


Also trying to do the right thing(s),
Yosh.

Anonymous said...

Hey Yosh! Great to see you around here and thanks a lot for the advice :) Cheers, mate!



p/s: I should proof-read all of my posts from now on :-/