Wednesday, May 02, 2007

There's MAGIC everywhere!

Tons of things happened today.

First of all would be Eden's Open Day at the Kg. Paya Community Hall. It's a pretty big place and I believe that other than the rain, everything went pretty smoothly and there seems to be enough space for everyone, which is usually a problem at big fairs like these. Many different churches and NGOs come together to bring awareness to the community around Kg. Paya about Eden's Community Centre's existence and overall I think the even was pretty successful.

I had the opportunity to do something I have never done in my entire life: TO BUSK! After standing and doing magic for 8 hours straight, I have a great amount of respect for street buskers now. It isn't easy, alright... I have made a grand total of RM39! That's not even enough to cover the cost of the props! Hahaha...

I stuck a piece of polystyrene in front of my little space at AYA's stall that says "Any contributions are WELCOMED!" to let people know that they can pay me whatever amount they feel I'm worth. Well, after this experience, I think I should change the words into something that says "GIVE ME YOUR MONIES". Hehe... I think I have done magic to roughly 150+ who drop by our stall and out of those only 30% contributed with an average of 2 coupons. So many times when the kids wanted to give me their monies(Okay.. okay... it's money, I know...) their parents would urged them away.

lol.

I think this is another great experience for me because doing magic for friends is one thing and it's an entirely different thing to do magic for monies. A friend saw my 'earning' of the day and told me, "It's alright. We live in Malaysia, anyway, where buskers aren't really appreciated." Now, don't get me wrong here. I'm not complaining. I'm just a little disappointed with the general attitude of Malaysians(I may be over generalizing people here). So many of them come up to me and ask if they need to pay after watching me do my thing and once I told them they can 'pay me whatever amount they think I'm worth', they walked away. Fantastic.

It's really boring for me to do the same thing over and over again(I think I did my Ambitious Card Routine for a million times today) but to everyone else who drops by, it's brand new thing that people usually have not seen in their entire lives! So, everytime I get a new group of people, I would need to put on a Mr. Charming smile and start afresh. What a challenging experience, I must say...

Other than that and the rain, it has been a great day for me. Gave out my cards to a lot of people. Maybe I can expect some calls from some hawt girls sometime soon. Hehehe... In fact, I'm very much surprised that a lot of my teachers dropped by. It was fun fooling around my very own teachers.

After the event, Yi Wan and I thought it might be a good idea to check out the old haunted hospital situated along Jalan Hospital (haha) but that's a post for another day. Promise! :D

"People always ask me... whether I do this for love or for money. I say it's for LOVE! *cheers* The love for your money!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yo man... hey, i gotta say sorry here, as i m ur student for magic, but i din support u, ooi shee took d coupon n gave it to kah shiuan ady, he took part in d recycle competition... sorry man...

KingChai said...

Hahaha... it's alright. Wasn't talking about you at all.

Anonymous said...

king chai..great job..the next time u go U in KL..can perform at KL sentral..sure earn!:P

Anonymous said...

hye my fren.. just found out ur blog thru your fren..When saw bout de word "MAGIC",quickly click it and read bout it.. Mm, just wanna say sorry to you.. reali,very sorry.. just like wat jackie said.. my coupoun,os took it le..
so sorry as i didnt contribute anything but ask u to perform ur magic skill.. >.<

KingChai said...

Oh no.... don't worry about it. I really wasn't talking about any of you. :) It was my pleasure really to perform for you.

And...you have INTERNET NOW?

Cheers!