Wednesday, August 31, 2005

anak merdeka

Today, I had the awesome opportunity to be part of Malaysia's 48th Independence Day celebration. No, this is not some kind of cheesy talking about "great experience"-kind of writing. This is a bit more like a banter rather than a... something. Anyway, once again, I had to go and 'pretend' to be one of those 'anak merdeka', who's born on the 31st of August to represent my own race to recite the Ikrar Negara. But the thing is, I wasn't born on the 31st of August.

I wasn't about to lie, of course, like last year. This year, anyone who asked me whether I'm borned on the 31st of August or not, I said no. In fact, I have no right to be standing up there representing the Chinese people as if I'm the pride of the country simply because TODAY IS NOT MY BIRTHDAY. The only rational that my teachers gave for me to lie is because those in my school, who are born on the 31st of August are not the type that can read Ikrar Negara with pure patriotism and exuberance. Pure bull.

Can you even believe the fact that at this age, even TEACHERS are asking the students to LIE and I can't imagine what would our education system be like 10 or 2o years down the road. I know this is a very menial task and tiny matter but all the huge problems start from a tiny error. Take aeroplanes for example. The carelessness of an aeroplane engineer, who accidentally uses the wrong screw size(although the difference is less than 1 mm) can cause the death of hundreds on the aeroplane. So, I suppose a 'tiny, menial, harmless' lie like this could cause the downfall of the Malaysian education system. It seems like we're only focusing on the academic part of the system although the government 'stresses' and 'prouds' itself on being well mannered and pure compared to the westerners.

Of course, this is a very special day for Malaysia and I'm not going to about this only. In fact, I have more to say about the spirit of 'Merdeka' in every souls in Malaysia. It's to see that the very people who are leading the governing bodies in Johor itself behave like teabags. Here's what happened, people from the MDSR(Majlis Daerah Simpang Renggam) literally make fun of EVERYONE and ANYONE who's performing on this big day where all Malaysians are supposed to be joined in unity, peace and harmony. I'm especially peeved about the people from MDSR because of the way they made fun of the Indians when they perform their Silambam acts(oh, have I mentioned that everyone who represented the MDSR are Malays? Hmm...). They also make fun of the poor old man when he's reciting a great 'syair' when the PA system went wrong.

It is truely appalling to see these kind of things happen on this wonderful celebration of our country's independence. What rights do these people have to enjoy themselves at the expense of others by humiliating them, making funny sounds and behaving like Mr. Dick. I really don't see the point in having this kind of huge celebrations. Sad to say this but the spirit is now lost. It's grand and beautiful on the outside but the inside is just as rotten as a 3-year-old apple, and you know how rotten an apple that old can be.

If you are a Malaysian, please, I beg with you not to be hypocrites, who proudly professes ourselves to be loving, kind, helpful, polite, well-mannered and pure Malaysians, when we really are behaving the opposite. Let's practice integrity and not follow what every other Ahmad, Ah Seng and Bala* are doing.

Well, there's only so much that I can do. I can only say and act upon myself whereas the nation is slowly decaying away. I can't blame those at fault too. We're only humans.

Happy 48th Birthday, Peninsular Malaysia!
Happy 42nd Birthday, Malaysia!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

* That's my Malaysian version of Tom, Dick and Harry, hehe...

NOTE: I'm actually talking about everyone in general but I used MDSR as an example because they really were making a racket about everything. I don't care about your damn water supply, Simpang Renggam. Go dig a well.

No comments: